Jnana Prabodhini’s Institute of Psychology (Prajna Manas Samshodhika)
Jnana Prabodhini’s Institute of Psychology (JPIP) is a sister concern of Jnana Prabodhini Sanstha and is a part of Jnana Prabodhini Research Institute. ‘Identification and nurturance of human potentials for a social cause with a foundation of research’ is the aim of the institute. The work of the institute is spread on national and international level, and has reached people at various levels in India as well as abroad.It has also undertaken interdisciplinary researches with humanities, languages, health Psychology, physical sciences, and managerial sciences.Some important government and non-government agencies which have supported JPIP for research projects are- UGC, NCERT, DST, SCERT, ICSSR, SRTI, TATA TRUST, NCY, MSWC, University of Utrecht-The Netherlands.JPIP is one of the unique institutes in India which is completely devoted to applied research in psychology with a huge team of experts in the field working together zealously.
JPIP is known for:
- Social and applied orientation while taking up research projects.
- Encouragement to new concept development and root level research at micro and macro level.
- Interdisciplinary topics, blending of quantitative and qualitative methods.
- A leading advanced Research Institute in India in the field of Psychology and Education
- Engaged in research, teaching, training, guidance and counseling, corporate services and consultancy for last more than 40 years
- Made significant contributions in identification and nurturance of human abilities
- Based on the research in psychometrics, JPIP has developed 120 tests for measuring 120 factors of intelligence given by Prof. Guilford and many more other tests.
- Provides a good quality, application-based education
This institute is attached with Savitribai Phule Pune Universityas a research centre for PhD.JPIP covers multiple areas of research on Psychology and Education
The main research areas include
- Human intellect and abilities (emotional/behavioural intelligence, Guilford’s model,
- School & educational psychology (reading/study skills, school atmosphere, creativity, parenting)
- Organizational behaviour
- Gender studies, women studies
- Defence psychology
- Social awareness
- Quality of Life, Well-being
- Psychology of highly abled
Activities undertaken by JPIP
- Recruitment, appointment, promotion and life skills training in industries
- School and organizational climate assessment
- School climate enhancement consultancy
- Counselling and guidance
- Aptitude testing for students
- Ability development for children from 7 to 12 years
- Courses in psychology for post graduate students
- Training programs in psychological testing, counselling, research methods etc.
- Seminars, conferences, lectures
Seminars and Conferences held at JPIP:
- IQ Controversy: (A National Seminar): January 1988
- IQ Controversy: 1990
- Nature and Nurture of Intelligence (at the occasion of First Indian Mensa Meet (IM) : January, 1993
- Identification and Nurture of Intelligence (8th conference of Marathi Manas – Shastra Parishad) : January, 1994
- Development of research proposals in Psychology and Education: 1997
- Thesis writing and evaluation: 1999
- Research Methodology: 2004
- National Seminar on ICIT Testing and beyond: 2005
- Orientation towards Psychological Testing: 2006
- Concept of Intelligence in Modern Psychology: 2008
- Specialties of boarding Students: 2008
- Intelligence (Concept of development) : 2008
- National Seminar on \’ICIT Testing and Beyond’: 2010
- Beyond Horizons (Giftedness in 21st Century): 2013
- National seminar on Quality of life: concept, measurement and enhancement: 2017
The research institute is also recognised by the University Grants Commission, and state government.JPIP is applying the outcomes of this research to various strata of the society by providing its services through all the strata of society through its six verticals/ subsections.
Name of the Sub Sections
- Psychometric Department
- Human Resource Development Unit
- Aptitude Test and career Guidance Department
- Potential Enhancement Services (PES)
- Guidance and Counselling
1. Psychometric section
- A field of psychology concerned with the theory and techniques of psychological assessment.
- JPIP aims at identification and nurturance of human potentials for social cause’. Objective and comprehensive Assessment is necessary for both these purposes. Therefore, psychometric test development is an independent, advanced and technical area of research in JPIP. We focus on developing indigenous tests appropriate for assessment needs in Indian culture. The first milestone achieved in this direction was the construction of 120 tests measuring 120 factors of intelligence demonstrated in the structure of intellect (SOI) model put forth by eminent psychologist late Dr. J. P. Guilford. Since then, JPIP is passionately working on the development of tools useful for a variety of applications.
2. Human Resource Development Unit
- Jnana Prabodhini’s Institute of Psychology has strong research base for identification of human abilities, traits and behaviours. With a professional experience of having worked pan India, across industries, NGOs and Government bodies, with a Client-oriented approach, JPIP is a well-known name in the field. Over a period of the last 40 years, JPIP has demonstrated its competence and has now been accepted by the industrial sector as one of the most competent institutes in the field of Human Resource Services. JPIP has conducted assessment for recruiting, promotion and also for exit counseling. Need bases soft skills trainings for varied levels of employees is the unique feature of our team. JPIP has highly qualified & experienced, dedicated and cohesive teams from Psychology and Management background.
3. Aptitude Testing and Career Guidance
- In the prevailing education system, it is imperative for a student to choose a stream after std. 10th. Thereafter the student ought to choose his/her career after std. 12th. Once the choice is made, it is almost inconceivable to reverse the chosen path.
- Hence, it is prudent for any student to opt for an Aptitude test in the later years of schooling so that an informed decision can be made. An objective test provides a realistic picture of the individual’s strengths and weaknesses. Merely effort and hard work are no guarantee for success in a field. Appropriate guidance ensures that the individual fits well into the chosen field and thrives.
Following are the tools used
- iA-Intelligence and Aptitude Test- Beneficial for students of Std. 10th, 11th and 12th (any stream)
- iTAP-Intelligence, Adjustment and Personality Test– Beneficial for students of Std. 7th, 8th and 9th
- SWAYAM Test – Studies and Work-related Aptitude in Youth – Advanced Measurement. Beneficial for Graduates, Post Graduates and working individuals.
- BEAM- Battery of Entrepreneurship Aptitude Measurement- Beneficial for students of Std.12th onwards, working individuals who wish to become entrepreneurs, transition from regular job to startups
Career Advisor Training Program is also conducted twice a year which is useful for the professionals who work closely with the students such as teachers, psychologists, social workers, counselors, etc.
4. Potential Enhancement Services (PES)
- JPIP believes in the application of research in diverse fields for attaining social change. PES is an honest effort in the same direction. The wing started functioning since 1994 in the form of the Comprehensive Child Development Program (CCDP). The research regarding the nature of intelligence is applied here, for the students of age from 7 to 12 years. Later the development program extended to adolescents, parents, and teachers as well. It mainly focuses on the enhancement of cognitive and socio-emotional abilities through various training modules. The programs organized are given in our service list.
Programs undertaken by this subsection.
- Comprehensive Child Development Program- Camps organized in vacations with the aim to nurture different abilities in children aged 7 to 12 years. Observations of children are shared with parents
- Continuous Comprehensive Child Development Program- Activity sessions are arranged for the children aged 7 to 12 years throughout the year. The activities are theme based and aim to develop the children holistically
- Prajna Prabodh- This program aims at all-round development of high ability children. Children from different schools are selected on the basis of their scores on standardized intelligence tests and activity-based program is run for them on yearly basis. Areas like cognitive development, emotional development, language development, creative and critical thinking enhancement are enhanced.
- Prajna Maitra- This group works as a support group for parents of high ability children. Membership is ensured through a standardized entrance procedure and it continues for two years. Monthly sessions are organized with the aim to equip parents to contribute optimally to their ward’s development.
- Sujan Palakatva (Parenting with awareness)- Training sessions for parents are organized.
- Trainers’ training program- Training program for enhancing facilitation skills are held twice a year.
5. Guidance and Counselling
- Guidance and counselling is an important wing of Jnana Prabodhini’s Institute of Psychology. \’Jivhala (Affection) Margadarshan Kendra\’ got established in JPIP from 1970. It emerged as a counselling centre for all individuals of any age, with varied problems. For the next few years as per the requirements of our clientele, the department focused on educational guidance to students regarding their adjustment and educational problems.
- Modern world is competitive. Parents are compelled to be the part of this rat-race; knowingly or unknowingly. Their tensions are transferred to the children, which may lead to different psychological problems, such as lack of concentration, lack of interest in studies, scholastic backwardness, learning difficulties, examination phobia, adjustment in school environment, behaviour problems etc. Many times, parents are unable to understand the reason behind these behaviours. Not only children but youth and adults also need a helping hand at different stages of life for coping and adjustment. This Assessment and Guidance centre aims to guide such clients with the help of standardized psychometrics assessment – and open dialogue.
- Since last few years G & C vertical started pre-marital, marital guidance as well as family counselling for some issues.
- Various webinars, training programs are organized on the topics such as addictions in adolescents, handling adolescent children, effect of media etc.
6. AcademicsFew applied courses which are either autonomous or recognized by SPPU are run under this subsection
1. Post Graduate Diploma in School Psychology
- In the post-independence period, our country faced many challenges related to education. After globalization, problems in the educational field took a new turn. As an attempt to intervene in this, with vast research experience in the areas of psychology and education, JPIP initially started the Post Graduate Diploma in School Psychology in 1993. This is one of the rarest courses in School Psychology in India. It not only focuses the remedial or curative work with students but aims all-round development and well-being of students. The course is recognized by Savitribai Phule Pune University (SPPU). Over 500 students have completed this practically orientated course and are contributing to the area in the capacity of Principals, Counsellors, School Psychologists, Teachers, and Consultants.
2. Education of the gifted: methods and Strategies
- The progress of any country depends on the holistic nurturance of high potentials. But unfortunately, need to care for these talents is not much recognized at either system level or societal level. Acknowledging the need to spread awareness in this regard and train personnel in this field, another specialized course was designed that deals with the education of high ability individuals: Education of the gifted: methods and Strategies. This was sanctioned by UGC as innovative course and is recognized by SPPU. This advanced diploma is immensely helpful for teachers, counsellors and parents willing to work for identification and nurturance of different abilities and talents in children and adults.
3. Child and Adolescent Psychology – Enhancing Potentials
- Sensing the need for training in basic child psychology, an autonomous correspondence program was designed for psychology as well as non-psychology professionals, who wish to apply knowledge of child and adolescent psychology to their respective professions: Child and Adolescent Psychology – Enhancing Potentials\’. This course contains the basics of cognitive psychology, physical and psychological development, common adjustment issues and difficulties related to the age group of 0 to 16 years. It includes two days of intensive training program aiming at enhancing abilities with the help of different games and activities. This course is proving helpful for teachers, doctors, lawyers, social workers/ individuals working in NGOs related to children and adolescents, parents and grandparents too.
JPIP is one of the few institutes in India devoted to applied research in Psychology. Savitribai Phule Pune University recognizes the institute as Research and Ph. D. centre since 1980.